Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fun Weekend!


Last Saturday Paul and I met up with my side of the family for the horse races located in Santa Anita. My fun cousin Lauren came to visit from Oregon, also Sandy, Tim, Kennedy and Heather came...good times. It was my very first time and it was so beautiful! One of my favorite things to do was watch as they showcased the horses, while they slowly trotted around the loop, they were so close and so beautiful! Their manes were sleek and shiny, not to mention their defined bulging muscles, and their large brown eyes with their lush long eyelashes, which I am definitely jealous of!

Then we went into the stadium and we were able to go right up to the fence and await the races! It was so fun to see the horses race to the end with such poise and speed! I have always had a secret fantasy of riding a glorious black horse at top speed to the horizon to catch the sunset...hasn't happened yet, but maybe someday!


Here is a pic of Paul and I at the races, we had such a great time and Paul definitely learned some valuable life lessons (money is not made to be thrown away)

When we left the races Paul and I headed off to Hollywood. It was my first time and I was star struck... I didn't really get to see any real stars but I walked the star walk and stepped on a couple. Paul and I were a little stressed for time as we were hoping to reach our destination by a 5:30. We made it and stood in front of the Pentagus theatre waiting patiently to put out names in the lottery to get tickets for Wicked! I had been aching to see this show for so long!! We finally made our way up the line and put both of our names in the green spinner. The fellow who was in charge of the drawing was very informative on the procedures for the ticket. He repeated probably at least five times that we needed to have cash on hand, picture id to get the tickets, and be there in person to receive the tickets no exceptions.

The drawing started at 6, at the same time he was pulling out the first ticket Paul asked me if I put Heidi Andrews or Heidi Palmer on the sheet of paper and I put Heidi Andrews, so I checked in my purse for my id coming to find out I didn't have any id whatsoever on me!! At that moment I sprinted to my car (luckily we were pretty close)lost my shoe a couple of times and made it in the nick of time when he pulled my name out of the green spinner, I was out of breath and ecstatic I squealed for joy and ran to the booth to purchase my tickets. The great thing was the tickets only cost $25 and they in the front row where all the action was!

Paul and I were about to leave when a lady urged us to stay in hopes we might get drawn which would increase her odds. We were pretty sure we wouldn't be drawn again but stayed to humor the nice lady. I mean what are the chances to be drawn once let alone twice out of a spinner that had about 70 people in it when they only drew thirteen names. To our surprise the eleventh name drawn out of the spinner was Paul's what a lucky pair we were that night. People gave him some pretty dirty looks as they realized we both had won. Anyway we didn't have enough time to hit the action of Hollywood Boulevard so we just went to a small pizzeria and then had amazing frozen yogurt from yogurt star, I highly recommend it!

We then went to the Pentagus and awaited the much anticipated Wicked! It was Paul's first time to a broadway show, I was crossing my fingers that he would like it. To my suprise he loved the show, he thought it was incredibly funny and entertaining! This was my favorite broadway show by a long shot! If you ever get the chance to see Wicked don't pass it up!

8 comments:

kkrich said...

look at u two. awwww.

i love the santa anita race track, thats where my culinary school graduation was oh so many many years ago.

Tyson and Heather said...

SOO glad you got the tickets--so fun! The horse races were a blast plus its part of our Palmer heritage...SEABIscuit!!:0

Tiffany said...

So much fun!

The George's said...

What a fun filled day. looks like you ladies are having fun living close to each other. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the races. Now I want to go, it looks beautiful. Glad you got to see the show. I hear it wonderful.

Jessica Potter said...

Wow it looks like you had an amazing weekend! I am so jealous! I bet Wicked was amazing and so glad that Paul enjoyed it as well. As for the horse races, how fun was that? I went with Sand earlier this year and it was so fun and I loved to see the pretty horses.

*** said...

The races were SO GREAT! We had such a fun time. And way to win the lottery for Wicked...what a great day!

H and E said...

Wow that sounds like such a fun day I am jealous for sure! I can't believe how lucky you guys were. I have been dying to see WICKED, everyone rants and raves about it, maybe I will get lucky sometime soon!

brooke said...

That was one awesome day! I'm so totally jealous that you've seen Wicked...I'm dying to see it! I've heard so much about it. Too fun!