Monday, March 24, 2008

Classical Music


Recently I have come to appreciate classical music at a much larger scale. My favorite composers would have to include Beethoven, Bach, Tchkaiovsky, Mendelssohn, and Mozart just to name a few. Classical music is sensational, revitalizing, and even comical if you listen close enough. I believe no other genre of music can compare. When you listen to the music you decide the story behind the song, which strongly encourages creativity. Classical music reminds me of art where each brush stroke is added slowly until the colorful collage of colors come together to form a beautiful picture. So it is with each individual instrument where they slowly come together to build up to the pivotal point of the song where the picture and story sync together as one. Paul and I were discussing an unfortunate disappointment in the media. That is media taking advantage of great works of art and destroying the essence of the song, and the ability of the viewer to make it their own. I believe classical music should be associated with elegance and beauty such as in a ballet where both of these crucial elements are present. An example of the media taking advantage of a beautiful classical piece was when Nike used Mozart's Requiem as the background music for the much anticipated end of the game. Unfortunately, when I do hear Mozart's Requiem I associate it with basketball and Nike shoes, which I do not believe was the intent of the piece when Mozart composed it. However, on the other side of the argument some people have not had many opportunities to hear or make use of classical music, so ads can sometimes help those who have never explored Classical music to do so. If you look at other advertisements they use today's most popular musical artists to appeal to the viewer as hip and cool...such as rap, which I think evoke feelings that aren't as encouraging as feelings that are stemmed from Classical music, any thoughts?

14 comments:

Heath and Gretchen said...

Heidi! I’m so glad you found our blog!!! It’s been WAY too long! I can’t believe both you and Heather are living in Southern California! Lucky! Heath is so jealous! He wants to move back out there once we're done with school! Can you believe we’re having twins?!? It was such a shock when we found out! They are due May 9th, but will probably come sometime in April! I’ll be asking you and Heather plenty of twin questions, I’m sure! I’m so glad we can keep in touch! :)

kkrich said...

are u ready for opera? cuz i have some u should check out:
mozarts magic flute (in german)
lakme by delibes (in french)
and aida (in italian)
I am also a huge fan of la boheme (also italian)

Sarah said...

I totally agree with what you are saying! Classical music gives you such a unique feeling then any other music. My Husband really enjoys classical, especially when used in movies.

Jessica Law said...

Heid...Can I JUST COMPLIMENT YOU ON YOUR INCREDIBLE WRITING SKILLS? What a beautiful, eloquent way you describe the beauty around you. I miss you. I have always appreciated classical music and became more educated with it all when we hung with the Cardenes Fam. Have you spoken with them lately?

brooke said...

Love your thoughts on the matter. I'm a huge classical music fan too. I especially love to play it on the piano. You're awesome Heidi!

The Andrews said...

Thanks Jess, you are so sweet...I have really struggled with writing through the years...so your compliment really meant a lot. I miss you too I wish you lived closer! The Cardenes family definitely helped me to appreciate classical music in so many ways! Monique performed her show last week with the San Diego Symphony. We were able to meet up with them for dinner and caught up on what is new with their life, they send their best and miss you having you around!

The Andrews said...

Kari, thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely be checking them out, I love the opera!

The Andrews said...

Brooke we need a classical piano concert, you need to share your talents with us!!

The Andrews said...

Sarah, I am glad we share the same feelings about Classical music, thanks for your thoughts!

True Birds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyson and Heather said...

Heid...I love reading your beautiful words too..it was like a classical piece in and of itself! I definitely need to put in a little more classical music into my life! With Loren down for the weekend he got me listening to Opera and I need to download some!

Jentry said...

Heidi! Lets be blogging friends! www.cumulativerecord.blogspot.com

Your basketballin' friend
Jentry

Annie and Berkeley said...

Heidi, I found your blog through Natalie Wardels. I hope all is well. Your wedding picture is georgeous.

Joselyn said...

so how come I didn't know you had a blog?? I'm so excited that you do!! Anyway..I'll make sure to add your blog to our blog roll! :)