Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Is the Smart car Smart?

How smart is the smart car, yea it is definitely fuel efficient and is compact enough that when you purchase it.... you can drive it out of an elevator and save on the staggering rising prices of crude oil! I was on the freeway yesterday when I looked out to the left I was baffled at the size, I mean I thought my civic hatchback was pushing the limits on size but this car looked like a toy car, I would say it is about the size of a luxury golf cart. The man in the toy car was going 70 mph, it was sort of surreal while I was looking at it I felt I had jumped into a cartoon...it just didn't look right to be going so fast in such a tiny toy car. I find it interesting how they named this car the smart car. So you can save on gas...but what about your safety? Don't you think someone who is smart would be concerned about their safety more than a mere buck? I mean imagine driving a smart car at 80 mph and you get hit by a large truck going the same speed, say goodbye because there is a slim chance you are going to survive! The mind-boggling thing is the car received five stars for safety when it when through the crash screening test. The smart car has a steel cell that surrounds the passenger doors to help provide an additional safety source when and if the car is crashed. Regardless of the safety features I still wouldn't get one...well there is my two cents on the topic.

9 comments:

Jessica Potter said...

I agree.. A. I would look like a Giant in it. B. Does not strike me as safe. C. Where would I put all of my girl stuff, like pop, clothes, shoes, 4 make-up bags, car seat, ect.?

kkrich said...

i dunno. sometimes i think my civic won't protect me. but who wants to look like a nerd while driving. haha just kidding.

The George's said...

Heidi, I love your post. They would rock out in the country, but I'd hate to get hit in one.

H and E said...

I feel the same way when I see those cars on the freeway I totally get freaked out. It is like it is not real!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I've seen one once here...and it totally took me aback...I was like - that's super small!! I just picture it taking a turn too fast and rolling down a hill like a bouncy ball. Or a semi going right over it.

Tyson and Heather said...

thats hilarious...remember Dad's pic in France standing next to one?! Thats hilarious!

Cheerfully Charmed said...

Hi Andrew Fam!
I'm so glad you found us!!! I hope you family is doing well!
I just saw one of these cars yesterday for the first time and I was totally mesmerized! You’re exactly right when you say that it would be a very unsafe car...however very convenient to whip in and out of those super small parking spaces! :)
Keep in touch! I'm jealous you’re living in Cali!

kkrich said...

missed you at the party you two- pual got all my texts so he knew about it. but whatever i am not offended. maybe i should have your number heidi, not lame-o's. j/k

Jessica Law said...

That's too crazy. I can't even imagine how I would fit into one of those.