Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Stellar San Diego Zoo!

The Saturday before last Paul and I went yet again to see the animals...are we obsessed maybe a little bit but Sandy(my wonderful older sister) let us use her pass which expired on April 30th, so we had to take advantage, thanks Sand and Tim. We met up with some great friends the wonderful Wardels. We hit up the zoo around 10:00 am because Nat and I wanted to see the baby Panda and he is only out and about in the morning. Little did we know we picked the best time of the day to go! If you go early in the morning the animals are very entertaining, alert, and fun because it isn't in the middle of the day when it is too hot to for them to rove around.

The highlight of the day were the Polar Bears, they were absolutely incredible! They were in the water glass enclosure, this was the first time I have ever seen them this close they are usually hiding away and you are lucky to even catch a glimpse of them. They were so beautiful their fur coats looked like big giant cotton balls as they swirled their way through the water. There were two Polar bears who were wrestling each other, it kind of reminded me of my cousins who would wrestle unceasingly till there was a victor...they were so fun to watch! They went through three rounds and it was hard to say who the victor was because they were so similar in size and looked identical, watching them was almost hypnotic it took us awhile to pull away from them and gallivant on to see what else the zoo had to offer.
We then went to see the beautiful sleeping giants, panda bears that is. It is so sad everytime I have been to the zoo they are always sleeping but they still look so darn cute! We were able to catch a little glimpse of the baby panda but he was so high up in the tree I couldn't get a good shot! Anyway the baby panda was adorable as ever nestled up in the tree oblivious to what was around him. Wouldn't it be cool if you could fall asleep so easily perched on the branch of a tree...with no fear of falling?!
We then went on to see the gorillas, not a whole lot went on in this exhibit but the boys sure did have a good time talking to the zoo keeper. A couple of random facts gathered was that the gorillas take birth control because they are maxed out on the space they have for the gorillas. There are two baby gorillas and he said they are super playful and he wrestles with them at times, however, he wouldn't be caught dead...then again he might...if he tried wrestling with the silverback. He said they are very tempermental and one time the silverback got so angry he broke the inner layer of the glass. Last but not least the average life span for a gorilla is 40 years...well there is some random trivia for the day! The silly Gorilla below is giving herself a pedicure...so random!
As the day went on Nat convinced me it was time for me to go green, it was going to happen sooner than later...Nat just nudged me in the right direction! Thanks for the great day you two we had so much fun!!

15 comments:

Jessica Potter said...

Cute! It looks like you had a total blast!

brooke said...

You have good zoo luck! I'm going with you and Paul next time! I've only seen the polar bears wrestle around once. I keep hoping each time that they'll be doing that, but they never do!

The George's said...

How fun. It brings back memories of last year when we went. We need to come back down.

Sarah said...

Seeing you guys going to all these wonderful places makes me want to move out there so bad! Hopefully someday!!! Looks like you guys had a Great time, morning really is the best time to go to the Zoo!

Jentry said...

I love the zoo! When Scott and I were on our honeymoon we went to the Denver zoo and there was the tiniest baby gorilla all snuggled up with his mama. The panda picture was my favorite.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I loved going with you. You need to get a membership so we can go again and again. At the very least we need to get $5 subs again! Did you hear they are doing it at Quiznos too? Crazy!

Brandi said...

I love reading your posts b/c they are always so detailed. Great pics. We are taking the kiddies tomorrow to the Hogle Zoo~ Should be fun!

The Walkers said...

I love the San Diego zoo, but it's so dang big!! I went a couple of years ago, and I actually got a little cranky, because I was tired. Are you guys planning on living in La Jolla forever?

Lisa and Mark said...

Yay! Fun! I love animals :)

Diana said...

Hey Heidi, I stumbled onto your blog... You and your husband are so cute! And we have almost the same last name, random! Well just thought I'd say Hi!

Miss K$ said...

You serious? Never been to SF?
ITs got its own thing going on. I earnestly urge you to go~

Thanks for reading.

kkrich said...

heidi i love how much you love animals. it makes me nostalgic for the zoo.

*** said...

SO glad you could put the pass to use, up to the last minute. And, great idea to go in the morning! I would have loved to see those polar bears in the water up close. Paul is so funny, he loves his trivia...which we all benefit from. Love you!

The Woodlands said...

If the weather is nice this saturday, you guys are losing at Tennis...that's me and Heidi up against Paul and Matt of course...girls rule, boys drool!!!
hahaha!

Shelise said...

It worked. We do have the same background. I really love it but I have had it for almost a year so Im thinking of changing it soon. I have been reading your blog for like 20 min. It has been so fun reading up on what you guys have been doing. Cali... is that where you are living? If so, is it permanent? Sounds like things are really good.