Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Enough is enough....I am sick to my stomach!

I feel completely sick to my stomach.
I am completely appalled that close friends and family are taking our True Birds designs and are making and selling them as their own. It is eye opening to see peoples true colors come out. Besides friends and family that have come out and tried to sell them as their own (bad enough right?!), bigger stores that we used to love--- a n t h r o p o l o g i e and u r b a n o u t f i t t e r s have ripped us off as well. We sent product boxes to them with our Summer/Spring line as well as our upcoming designs that come out this Fall and they took months to return the pieces, only returned part of the samples, kept the line sheet and are now selling almost complete replicas of many of our styles online and at their stores. So upsetting. We will not be shopping at either of those stores again.
The Friends and Family that are making almost exact replicas of our designs have bridged even into the Baby Birds line which is 100% original, nothing out there is that same concept. They have also replicated our True Birds adult line in many ways from our designs, to even the verbal descriptions and branding they choose to use, I don't understand how people can't get their own ideas. I feel like we are so pro-originality and not copying others which is why it makes it so hard for me to understand others business ethics. This certain friend is from High School, I hope our High School friends, neighbors and others will choose to support our original ideas and hard work.
Its hard for me to understand that some people only look out for #1.
Please continue to support our brand, our designs and our hard work. Heather and I have worked so hard to create unique accessories and appreciate your support and hope you'll continue to choose to support us.
Know that we are moving forward and will continue to do so. For instance, today I'm dropping off requested custom accessories to Smashbox Studios in L.A. for a Seventeen Magazine photoshoot with the cast of America's Next Top Model, a celebrity requested True Birds accessories for tonight's premiere of the new Denzel Washington/John Travolta movie "The Taking of Pelham 123". Last night CBS Red Carpet reporter, Amber Valdez, wore True Birds for the movie premiere of "Hangover" and today Miley Cyrus will receive her numerous accessories she personally requested after looking over our lookbook and website on set of Hannah Montana last week. Noah Cyrus, her little sister will also be receiving Baby Birds and True Birds accessories by the end of the week before the family goes out of town for the Summer. We were also a part of the MTV Awards Events last weekend (post coming soon on www.truebirdsblog.com) as well as supporting sponsors and attendees at Brittany Curran's Birthday Bash last Saturday. We also got confirmation that we'll be posted about on Cosmogirl.com on June 15th as well as www.theluxuryspot.com and many upcoming magazines, see here. This isn't a bragging paragraph, merely a way to share with our knock-offs whats going on and letting them know that we will be calling them out in the media and online because we're not going to stand down.
.

19 comments:

Nina said...

Heidi I just posted on Heather's blog about this!! I'm sooo sorry! Business is business, but it still sucks that people you trust and the ones you hope will support you through anything are the ones that do just the opposite. TOTALLY lame! And good for you guys for not standing down!! I'm so excited for our shoot this month. Let's make it extra awesome and blow them ALL away. My little wears Baby Birds proud and if I was pretty and cool enough I'd wear the True Birds stuff, too (I really think I'd be doing you all a disservice by wearing them :) ) Anyway, don't get down! You guys are amazing at what you do and trust me, I know what it feels like to have someone rip you off. It's horrible. Just keep showing them that you are better, more ethical, stronger people!! Love you girls!!

mariah said...

Dear Heidi!!

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this junk. Business is hard enough without having people stepping all over you. If there is anywhere to find comfort, it is in the fact that you and Heath know who the real creative geniuses are. :) My two little girls will only wear authentic Baby Birds pieces. I love you and Heather so much and my heart hurts for what you are dealing with... Muster the courage to rise above, and know that you are fabulous in your own right. Love ya!

The Andrews said...

Thanks girls, we really appreciate your support, you girls are amazing and have helped build our product! We love you too!!

Adam Wardel said...

Sorry to read about this. It is difficult for me because I just want to be all lawyer-ly and investigate any and everyone you think has ripped your idea. The real world of success right? Good luck in the future. Let Natalie and I know if we can help in any way. Even a nice night BBq-ing and playing tennis. Ha!

Camille said...

Heidi--We know you and Heath are the true innovators behind True Birds. Shame on people who fall into completely unethical acts. You guys are super successful...focus on how GREAT you guys are!! Your true friends and family think you're wonderful!

The George's said...

Sorry to hear! You guys rock!

brooke said...

I'm not gonna lie, I've wanted to replicate your cute ideas for my own children to wear, only because they are SO DANG cute!!! But, of course, I wouldn't do that. Some day I'll be able to afford all of the Bird stuff...and it will be mine to wear....oohahaha (evil laugh)...keep your head up. I fully support you and your business!

Emily said...

That is ridiculous! I can believe a company would rip off your designs, they are in it for the money... (That is so upsetting about anthro or urban outfitters- no more shopping there.) But family and friends?! What in the world! I would be furious! I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, you have my support 100%.

Ruth said...

That is SO exciting that your business is taking off!! And SO upsetting about the knock-offs!! I'm glad you're going to call them out on it! You guys will be successful and they won't go anywhere. I am never shopping at Anthro or Urban Outfitters again, and of course I am ONLY buying/supporting original True Birds!
PS did I mention that I LOVE the headbands you made for Marianne. Everyone sees them and loves them and I always tell them about you guys and to check out your website. :) Great job! You guys are amazing!

Marissa of Ris C Handmade said...

I can't believe that people would rip you off like that. Is there anything legally that you guys can do? Tiffany gave me one of your baby birds headbands when they were here and I have been trying really hard to get Audrey to keep it on so that I can spread the word about you guys. I think that what you guys are doing is amazing. You are so talented.

H and E said...

Wow That is so dissapointing, I am sorry to hear that people are doing that. I am a big fan and always tell people how cool it is that my friends from high school have started this totally successful business. Don't worry they will never get to where you guys are going!

Jessica Potter said...

Heath and Heid,
I am sorry some people are super lame and are not smart enought to come up with fresh, chic idea's on their own and had to steal yours. Funny thing, I was a Gateway at Urban Outfitters not to long ago and seen some headbands that looked like yours, but when I picked it up it up it had dollar store quality written all over it. The feather flew off and you could see nasty glue marks on the head band. So people might try to steal your awesome idea's but they can never compare to your quality, handmade peices. When people make things personally, and care about their product and the person they are selling too, there is no comparison. I will go mess some peeps up if you want. :) I love you girls, for your good hearts and your ingenuity, your cleverness and your quality.

Tiffany said...

Okay Heidi, you need to tell me who this person is and I am going to hunt them down! That is horrible. Please know that I am a full supporter of YOU! And a proud supporter of True Birds! We love you and Heather so much. I am definitely going to make more of an effort to have my girls wear the baby bird headbands and spread the word of True Birds. Stay strong. I have fun faith that you will get through this and succeed!

The Andrews said...

Thanks for all of your support everyone, I am so lucky to have friends like you!

kkrich said...

freaking rock it girl and tell them like it is. I'm ready for a beat down when u need me and my muscular arms!

Sam, Beck and Bristol said...

Heidi-
I'm so sorry. That is really frustrating. I hope that everything gets worked out, you two have worked way to hard on this for someone to do this to you! Hope things get better..
Beck

Nat said...

I hope you know that what makes True Birds, True Birds are the actual Birds, without the sweat, blood and tears you guys have put into this, it wouldn't be the same. And I seriously doubt any of the copycats could have even come close to what you guys have done in such a short amount of time. You just keep trucking along, making the fashion world better and we'll keep supporting you. As much as it sucks it's part of life and fashion, you're trailblazing and others just want to jump on it. Don't sweat it, we all know you're the best.

Audrey/Cooper's grandma said...

Hi Heidi,

I am sorry too. I always tell others about your website. I want you to succeed. Gary and I are proud of what you are doing. I love your headbands and things. Wish you the best. It's a shame about the copy cats. Unfortunately the world we live in is not always honest, trustworthy or kind. :(

Morgan said...

Hey there, I write on Tyson and Heather's all the time but I wanted to say how sorry I am to you too. This must be so tough, but you guys have a winning product (I tell people about your site all the time!), try not to let it get you down too much!